Dogs have been man’s favorite pet since time memorial. They help increase social interaction, improve their owner’s well-being, and aid them in recovering quickly from illness. Even though dogs can provide endless companionship and love, they can still cause personal injuries and property damage.
Dog bites are on the rise with the increasing ownership, combined with a decrease in socialization opportunities and training. Fearful behaviors from dogs have made it hard for them to acclimate to new people and situations. If your dog bites someone or you or your pet gets injured by someone else’s dog, you may need to hire a dog bite lawyer/Shrum Law Office.
Dog bite laws vary from one state to another. There is a lot to know if seeking the services of a dog bite attorney in Austin, Texas. Keep reading to learn more.
Getting Legal Assistance after a Dog Bite- Key Things to Know
A reliable lawyer will not just point you in the right direction but help in a number of ways:
- Determine whether you have a legal claim.
- Inform you of the potential extent of your liability
- Let you know what types of defenses may be available
- Enlighten you on the possible legal and monetary consequences of your dog bite case
- Help present your evidence effectively
Many questions will pop up in your mind if bitten or a loved one is injured by a dog, especially in a pet-friendly region like Austin. For instance, one may wonder what the law says about dog bites in Austin, TX. A dog bite lawyer may be the best tool to pursue a lawsuit, even though no Texas state statute directly covers civil liability in such cases.
However, Texas state laws dictate a policy of negligence or a “one-bite rule”. This means that if another person’s dog injures you or a loved one, you must prove the following aspects:
- The dog displayed flashes of potential violence in past incidents.
- The dog owner was aware of their prior propensity to bite strangers and didn’t do anything about it.
- The pet’s owner displayed negligence or lack of effort to restrain the dog and prevent it from biting you or a loved one.
- The leash laws were not properly followed.
- The dog owner had the intention of bringing about the injury.
You’ve several options if bitten by someone’s dog. You can pursue an insurance claim with the dog owner’s insurance company. Most homeowner insurance policies will cover an initial dog bite claim if this happens on an insured property.
Your dog bite attorney will help deal with the insurance company. They will use their experience and knowledge to negotiate a fair settlement. In addition, your lawyer can guide you to file a lawsuit against the dog’s owner for damages.
There is a time limit to abide by if you wish to file a claim for damages. You have two years from the day of the dog attack to file your lawsuit. If the period expires, you don’t have a claim to file. To increase your chances of winning the dog bite case, keep several things in mind:
- Take pictures and document everything as proof of damages.
- Identify the animal and locate where it came from or who owns the dog.
- Ask for the names and contact details of the dog’s owner or available witnesses.
- Look for previous records of attacks by the dog.
You’re likely to get compensation for dog bites for:
- Deep-tissue damage
- Lacerations and cuts
- Lost wages
- Medication costs
- Surgery procedures
- Pain and suffering
- Damaged property replacement
- Rehabilitation and long-term care
Dog bites are rising, and the incident can occur under different circumstances. However, don’t panic and suffer in silence if you or a loved one are victims. With the help of the best dog bite attorney in Austin, Texas, it’s possible to file a lawsuit against the dog’s owner. An experienced, well-trained, certified, and licensed lawyer will help get the necessary compensation for financial loss, suffering, and pain.