Divorce can be an incredibly painful and costly experience, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. That’s why it’s important to hire the services of a reliable divorce lawyer if you have any plans to legally separate from your spouse shortly. In this guide, Find a lawyer to learn more about the divorce process in Singapore here. We’ll provide you with everything you need to know about going through the process so that you can make an informed decision about hiring someone like me for your case.

The first step: filing for divorce

The first step of the process is for both parties to file for divorce. This can be done by filling out the requisite paperwork, submitting it, and paying the court fees which are typically around S$160. Once you have filed, you will need to provide copies of your marriage certificate and supporting evidence to prove that your marriage has broken down irretrievably.

The second step: serving the divorce papers

The first step is to serve the divorce papers on your spouse by handing them over personally or having someone else do it for you. You can also send the papers by registered mail, with post office certification. The court will then provide you with an Acknowledgment of Service form, which you must fill out and return to the court clerk. There are some exceptions such as if your spouse cannot be found, or if they are not living in Singapore. In this case, you must file a Summons and Notice of Commencement of Proceedings instead.

The third step: going to court

In Singapore, the court typically rules that assets be split 50/50. This means that if one spouse has an income of $100,000 and the other has an income of $80,000, the first spouse would have to give the second spouse $40,000 ($10,000 from each year). The judge may also order one or both spouses to pay child support.

The fourth step: finalizing the divorce

The final step is to make sure the marriage has been officially dissolved. This can be done by going to your local Registry of Marriages and filling out the Finalization of Marriage form. The Registrar will then provide you with a Certificate of Finality for the dissolution of marriage. You’ll also need to pay a fee before this document can be issued.

If there are children from the marriage, their guardians must consent to the dissolution of the marriage as well.

You might also want to notify organizations that have joint accounts or shared finances, such as banks or credit cards, about the changes in your marital status so they know who is authorized to make financial decisions on behalf of both parties (and so they don’t lock you out of your account).