Losing a loved one is painful. But when their death is caused by the negligent or wrongful actions of another person or entity, the grief is compounded by anger and the need for justice. In such situation, seeking help from a qualified Orange County Wrongful Death Lawyer for maximum compensation through the legal system is the viable option.
What is a wrongful death claim?
A wrongful death claim is a civil lawsuit filed against a person or entity (like a company or government body) that caused the death of your loved one through recklessness, negligence, or intentional harm. The claim seeks to hold the guilty party legally liable for damages. The types of incidents that leads to a wrongful death claim include:
- Car, truck, motorcycle, or any motor vehicle accident caused by a reckless or impaired driver.
- Medical malpractice like surgical errors and medication overdoses.
- Product liability like a dangerous product design or defect.
- Premises liability like unsafe property conditions.
- Workplace incidents due to negligence or lack of safety.
Reasons to file a wrongful death claim
There are two major reasons to file a wrongful death claim:
- To seek justice and hold the guilty parties legally accountable for their actions. A successful claim can deliver a sense of closure and help prevent similar incidents in the future.
- To obtain compensation or damages for losses suffered by you and other surviving family members. This compensation can include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of current and future expected earnings and benefits
- Loss of parental or spousal support
- Loss of love, companionship, and guidance
While a successful claim can’t replace your loved one or undo the tragedy, it can ease some of the financial stress and burden caused by the wrongful death.
As the claims involve complex areas of law like torts and statutes of limitations, having an experienced attorney on your side is crucial. When looking for a wrongful death lawyer, look for these key qualifications:
- A proven track record with large verdicts and settlements in wrongful death cases. Ask for case examples and results.
- Extensive knowledge of local and state laws relevant to your case.
- Willingness to go to trial if a fair settlement can’t be reached. The threat of trial can drive more favorable settlements.
- Experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the incident. This can increase evidence supporting your claim.
- Compassion and sensitivity to work with you during an extremely difficult time.
Additionally, many wrongful death attorneys work on a contingency fee basis meaning legal fees come from a percentage of the final compensation amount. This aligns their motivation with getting the largest recovery possible.
Initial step toward justice and recovery
The grief of losing a loved one unexpectedly can feel unbearable. You’ll never stop missing them, but holding the negligent parties accountable can help restore a sense of control and justice. With an experienced wrongful death attorney guiding you through the process, expensive legal costs need not deter you from pursuing a claim you deserve. Take the first step today by scheduling a consultation with an attorney who can help fight for the justice your loved one deserves.