A custody battle is one of life’s most contentious and emotionally draining events.

Custody arrangements can go well when both parents agree on them, but disagreements are common. However, the primary parent is likely to be subject to a geographical limitation imposed by the custody order or agreement in Texas.

If one parent wants to take the kid out of state, it might cause a fresh rift. The freedom to relocate without the child is not limited in any way.

However, there may be issues and controversy if the parents decide to bring the youngster along. It is important to check your current child custody agreement before making any plans to move out of state with your children in Texas.

Plans for Relocating With Children and Child Custody Arrangements

It is important to know the sort of custody arrangement that is in place before learning about the Texas rules regarding child custody while relocating out of state. “Conservatorship” is the legal term for child custody in the state of Texas. The best interests of the kid are what the court will consider when making a conservatorship decision.

Conservatorship by One Person Only

Occasionally, one parent will be given full conservatorship of their minor child. It indicates that one parent makes all major choices for the child and the other parent has no say in the matter. According to Texas statute, this is a less-than-optimal custody setup.

However, the following situations warrant a court’s consideration of granting exclusive conservatorship:

  • The violent behavior of one parent;
  • One parent is responsible for the child’s abuse or neglect;
  • There is a history of substance misuse among one or both parents;
  • The youngster has grown up without one of their parents.

A parent having sole custody of a kid has complete discretion over all major life choices involving the youngster. Generally speaking, there are no geographical restrictions imposed by the Texas child custody relocation legislation on this. A parent who has sole conservatorship of a kid can take the youngster out of state without requiring permission from the court. But it’s better to let the other parent know about the move ahead of time. Visit https://www.ramosfamilylaw.com/ to learn more about your options and to speak with expert attorneys

There is no legal bar to the sole conservator relocating with the kid to another state, but it doesn’t imply the arrangement can’t be altered. The non-custodial parent may seek the court to place limits on where the kid can live by filing a petition to change the custody arrangement.